Being alive has its time, being dead has its own.

Kurt Wallander, The Troubled Man.

Curtain call, I'm watching the audience. They have just finished the first, big applause. The biggest of them all. The applause you can hear at the beginning of every play, that indicates that something new is about to begin. They're waiting in excitement to see what this play is really about, the expectations are high and diverse. I curtsies and smile, because I've got the leading role. I've still got a long time left until I'm only behind the scenes, waiting for the grand finale when the villains are busted, heroes found and the drama revealed to its very end. I've barely spoken my first lines, the climax is still not reached.
The play is still young and energetic, filled with stupid ideas and experiences are gathered along the way. Comedy and tragedy are mixed together, it's yet not decided with path the play will take. Not only am I in the lead role, I also write the script. I write it as the play develops - some things are planned, some things are made up as I go. For it is a long time until the second act, when the play gets more structure and more people enter the stage. There will be several supporting characters who will play important roles, and eventually some of them will be more important to me than myself.
When third act begins will even more supporting characters enter, and I will take my place behind the scene. And just before the curtain goes down we will all know whether this has been a piece worth watching, whether I have played the role of the hero or the villain, the comic or tragic part, and everything will fall into place. But there's still a long time to second and third act, for we're not even halfway through the first one.
Yet I have not experienced adolescence, it's an eternity until I reach old age, and right now it seems that I shall never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment